Archive: Fact Sheets On the Child Justice Bill [B49 of 2002]
Download specific topics in the Bill
- What is the idea behind child justice courts and one-stop centres? Do we have any at present?
- What are the issues around the age of a child?
- How much consultation has gone into the Child Justice Bill?
- How does the Bill contribute to preventing crime? How will it make us safer?
- What does the Child Justice Bill say about legal representation?
- What is a family group conference?
- What does the Child Justice Bill expect of the police?
- What is a preliminary inquiry?
- What is 'restorative justice'? Is it a foreign concept? Will it work in South Africa?
- Sending children to prison - a measure of last resort for the shortest possible period
- What are the different types of sentences envisaged by the Child Justice Bill?
- What about child sex offenders? What proportion of sexual offences are committed by children in South Africa?
- What is assessment?
- What is expungement and why is it necessary?
- What is the role of probation officers ?
- Why do we need the Child Justice Bill?
Download the zipped format of all the above-mentioned topics