Article 40 Journal
Article 40, a lay journal of the Children's Rights Project, Community Law Centre, has been in existance since 1999. It continues to be a valuable resource containing information on policy and legal developments in child justice in South Africa and other parts of Africa. This publication has examples of good practice and successful interventions for children in trouble with the law. It is the only publication of its kind dedicated to strengthening awareness-raising and information dissemination around the South African criminal justice system as it pertains to children.
The following issues of Article 40 can be downloaded:
- Volume 14(3) December 2012: Leading article- Criminal capacity and the teenage brain: Insights from neurological research
- Volume 14(2) June 2012: Leading article- Thirteen Year Old Boy Implicated in Gang Rape of Seventeen Year Old Mentally Disabled Girl from Soweto - A Case of Criminal Capacity
- Volume 14(1) April 2012: Leading articleFrom Old Jeshwang to Kanifing: Improving children's access to justice in The Gambia - Challenges and Prospects
- Volume 11(1) March 2009: Leading article- Child Justice Alliance Diversion workshop held in Pretoria on 1 and 2 December 2008.
- Volume 10(3) December 2008 : Leading article- Minimum sentences legislation for child offencers found unconstitutional.
- Volume 10(2) July 2008 : Leading article- The Child Justice Bill passed by the National Assembly.
- Volume 10(1) May 2008 : Leading article- Overview of the 2007 version of the Child Justice Bill.
- Volume 8(1) July 2006 : Leading article- Examining the age of criminal capacity.
- Volume 7(4) December 2005: Leading article-Developing a child justice system through judicial practice.
- Volume 7(3) October 2005 : Leading article - Probation services in Gauteng.
- Volume 7(2) August 2005: Leading article - UN Guidelines on child victims and witnesses of crime
- Volume 7(1) May 2005: Leading Article- Do minimum sentences apply to juveniles? The Supreme Court of Appeal rules "No".
- Volume 6(4) December 2004: Leading Article - Consultative workshops on the development of diversion minimum standards.
- Volume 6(3) October 2004: Leading Article - What does the new Correctional Services Act say about children in prison.
- Volume 6(2) May 2004 : Leading article - Juveniles in prison.
- Volume 5(4) December 2003: Leading article - Structural interdicts and child justice: a big stick approach.
- Volume 5(3) October 2003 : Leading article - Western Cape Child Justice Forum leads the way.
- Volume 5(2) July 2003 : Leading article - Update on Port Nolloth One Stop Child Justice Centre.
- Volume 5(1) March 2003: Leading article - Public Hearings by the Justice and Constitutional Development Portfolio Committee on Child Justice Bill.
For hard copies of Article 40, please contact Crystal Nitsckie